Thursday, June 17, 2010

Baseball Game: Yankees vs. Phillies


I grew up about 14 blocks from Yankee Stadium. I am a Yankee fan through and through. So much so, that in high school two of my crushes lost MAJOR points for being Mets and White Sox fans. If they'd been Red Sox fans, they would've been deleted from existence. However, I've only ever been to 3 games. The first when I was like 6, and I don't remember anything. That's why I was excited when I heard that one of the perks of attending NYU are the discount Yankee tickets. So during Senior spirit week, me and my Polish friend Anya went to see a game. Again, I have no recollection of who they were playing, but I do remember having an awesome time, despite the fact that it was drizzling and Anya got bored after the first five minutes. lol

Remembering that adrenaline high, I jumped at the chance to see another, asking one of my NYU friends to buy me tickets. They were sold out. :( So I resorted to StubHub.com. $33 later, I was sitting in the nosebleed seats in Left field with a good view of the JumboTron. Never have I been so afraid of heights in my life. Seriously, how do children not cry uncontrollably when they get there? Must be all the ice cream and french fries—which probably bring their parents to tears at $7+ prices. Yowza!

Me and my bff Alice are movie fiends. We figured we'd have downtime to watch a flick on her portable DVD player while watching the game. I don't know why. We were delusional. Normally baseball games are slow-going. Nothing like a soccer game or a football game. It's practically golf but with less walking and a whole lot of chanting. But by the 2nd inning, we were wrist-deep in a nail-biter. The Phillies loaded the bases and ended the inning with 4 runs on the scoreboard. New York was disheartened. And I, I was sick and tired of hearing Jay-Z songs every time ARod came up to bat. He doesn't deserve Jay-Z. NINE fucking innings and the only 3 runs were made my Posada and Cano. How is it that Jeter and ARod get paid the most? [Taking deep breath.]



The Phillies murdered us in innings 2 and 3, forcing the Yanks to switch pitchers to a rousing applause from the audience. By the 9th inning, fans were so over the game they were already leaving. The only way we'd win is if they followed the Phillies' initial tactic: loaded the bases and got one out of the park. The bases were loaded. We were at bat. Fans stopped leaving. They gathered around flat screens all over the stadium. And...NOTHING. So anti-climactic. Like a faulty magic trick.



I felt like someone had run over my dog. I don't have one, but still. It hurt. The $13 I spent on large fries and a small soda hurt. But this was excruciating. The only upside was that I paid for excitement and I got my money's worth.


Favorite part of the game: chanting and clapping, especially "hip-HIP!" "JORGE!!!!"
Least favorite part of the game (besides losing): when people would stand up and block the plate. Seriously, SIT. THE. F#@^. DOWN!
All in all…I'd watch another game. Next time, Yankees vs. Mets. Battle Royale!!

No comments:

Post a Comment