Sunday, June 6, 2010

Road Trip: Conan O'Brien at Mohegan Sun

I can't drive. That's why I've never been on a road trip. Films and magazines always make them seem like the best bonding experiences you could ever have. So when my bff Alice asked me if I'd like to join her and her brothers on a 2-hr mini-road trip to Uncasville, Connecticut for Conan O'Brien's "Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television" Tour, I jumped at the chance.


My dream road trip was an idea Jane editors had to send pairs of writers to different BBQ-loving states and determine which city in each state had the best BBQ. It was sort of unbelievable because half of them didn't even look like they ate red meat, let alone meat, but it sounded delicious. Plus, Jane girls always knew how to have fun, so I was bummed I was just an intern. I mean, don't they need interns on road trips? Who will…read the menu to them?

So, needless to say, I had high hopes for this mini-road trip. Perhaps too high. First off, I expected to be better at DJing, but trying to be considerate of two 20something Asian boys is difficult when most of your playlist is riddled with tracks by Ke$ha and Bieber. So I left the DJing to them. Then there was the conversation. I love talking to my girl Ally, but I have a very low toned voice and she's practically hard of hearing (lol). Now add speeding winds (due to the lack of AC on an 80-degree day) and the radio volume, and you can imagine how limited our conversation was. I resolved to not being too bummed, since it was my fault for developing this unrealistic picture in my head, and geared up for Conan's show.

I love Conan, but I hadn't seen him in a while and I was hoping he'd be back to his usual antics. He was…somewhat. I should've realized that if the title of the tour was bitter, he would be too. It was essentially 2hrs of him playing with his band and griping about getting fired/laid-off. I was laid-off last year and I don't complain as much as he does. Granted, millions of people weren't notified and I wasn't treated like dirt, but I was given less than 24hrs to vacate the premises and I wasn't given any sort of monetary compensation for the abrupt notice. Plus, I live at home with my parents and I owe more than $50,000 in loans. Soooooo, I was pretty much over Conan's whining after the first hour, which was mainly monopolized by mildly amusing opening acts.

The drive home was better because my expectations had been brought down to a reasonable level. We proceeded to play the "Date, Marry, Screw" game, and Alice learned that her eldest brother is in love with Cameron Diaz. lol And I learned that not everybody knows who Adriana Lima is.

Next time, we bring snacks, a portable DVD player, a pre-made pre-approved playlist, an air conditioner, and cards. And we head to the beach. Because there's no way a road trip can be anticlimactic if you end with sand between your toes and the ocean before you. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment