Wednesday, June 22, 2011

ACTIVITY: +Pool, an Eco-driven pool

I subscribe to Kickstarter, an innovative company that gives entrepreneurs a platform to raise money for whatever project they've dreamed up. That's how I got my klutz-proof iPod wristband, the Lunatik, that turned my iPod into a watch and made sure I didn't murder yet another mp3 player.

This week, they featured a project called +Pool. Three brilliant gentlemen are on a mission to build a cross-shaped pool in a New York City river, using the river as a source and filtering it to make it swim-able (and of course accidentally drinkable). The center strip would be a lap pool for serious swimmers and fitness addicts; one side would be the kiddie pool, and the other would be the lounging/cooling off pool.

They've already been approved by Parks & Recreation, and done the research that proves this is totally doable. They've already raised enough money to test prototypes, but they still need $75,000 to test the more complicated structures and disinfection methods for the people and the river. Depending on how much you donate, you get complimentary gifts, like a cozie, sunglasses, a beach ball, a tank top, a towel, a tote bag, an engraving of your name on a pool tile, or a permanently reserved poolside lounge chair. Check out there presentation:

I think it sounds really cool. Of course, I have my concerns. New York is a very large city, with hundreds of thousands of people. This all sounds totally Utopian, but they're going to need security, life guards, cooperation from the Coast Guard, an on-site doctor, time limits for pool-hogs, a mandated maximum capacity, and a cap on the amount of food carts that will undoubtedly crowd the coast. Regardless, I like how innovative our generation is...even though I'm terrified of fish and I won't be going in there. ;)

1 comment: