Monday, July 5, 2010

ART SHOW: Icons by Mr. Brainwash

On our way to Chelsea Piers, I decided to show Alice this random grafitti art I saw on Mother's Day of Alfred Hitchcock:


But when we got to 13th Street and 9th Ave., I noticed it had been slightly altered. Now Mr. Hitchcock was directing viewers towards a warehouse. At first we saw drawings of Einstein, Charlie Chaplin, and Woody Allen, but then we realized that there was an entire art gallery called Icons inside of the warehouse. And so the picture taking began:



I'd suggest visiting it. It reminded me a whole lot of the rebel artist Banksy, but people who know more about art than I do are suggesting that its all a ruse. The artist Thierry Guetta, a.k.a. Mr. Brainwash, is Banksy's protege, and according to said authoritarians, Banksy could be using him to make a statement about the art market or he could very well be Mr. Brainwash. For more on Guetta, watch his documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop:



Icons
415 West 13th St. b/w 9th Ave. & Washington St.
Hours: Mon-Thurs 12pm-9pm, Fri-Sat. 12pm-12am, Sun 12pm-7pm
Free Admission 
Cameras allowed

No comments:

Post a Comment