Friday, July 30, 2010

New York City's Summer Movie Series


I LOVE watching films outdoors. And because of my life-long dream of going to a drive-in (after seeing it in Grease as a kid, lol), I've seized every opportunity to attend an outdoor movie series in the city. Most summers I've indulged in the Bryant Park HBO Movie Series, watching Hitchcock and Bond films. This summer, I wanted to branch out and try ALL of the other movie venues, including the Intrepid, Hudson River Park, and Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Of course, I wasn't just going to watch any old film. So I chose each one I was interested in and put them all on my calendar. Friday the 23rd was my first film. Goonies at the Intrepid. Can you imagine it? Seeing a pirate treasure movie on a big boat, the ocean surrounding you? Incredible, right? It was. It was a beautiful view. And the jets parked on the surface were even more awesome! Check out Ali's blue steel:



There was even a vendor selling water and ice cream. Bank of America was giving out little pads to sit on. We had great seats near the front. Everything was perfect....until the rain came.


We were sooooo close. Ugh! Ever vigilant, we were going to try again on the 29th, watching Rear Window at Brooklyn Bridge Park, but I scored a free screening of The Other Guys, so we nixed it. If all goes well (and it doesn't rain again), I might get a second chance at seeing a film at the Intrepid this Friday. They're showing Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and even though Temple of Doom is my favorite, it's good enough for a free flick. And if it does rain or my plans fall through, I still have a chance to see Annie at Hudson Park on the 20th, Bonnie & Clyde at Bryant Park on the 23rd, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade at Brooklyn Bridge Park on the 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment