Sunday, July 18, 2010

SWEET TREAT: popbar, a Topper's Utopia

I haven't had a popsicle since I was 12. I used to love them. They were extremely refreshing and I was always eager to read the riddles that were printed on the sticks. (i.e. What is black, white, and red all over? A newspaper. Get it? Read all over.) But of course, like everyone, I hated the fact that they dripped all over you and ruined a perfectly good shirt. Plus, I was soon eternally enamored with vanilla ice cream smothered in chewy rainbow sprinkles, and indoctrinated into the gelato-loving cult. Thus, I retired my love for pops.

Then one steamy summer day last week, lost in the Village while searching for gelato, Ali and I passed popbar, which sells handcrafted gelato, sorbet, and yogurt on a stick, made with 100% real fruit. We were so excited to see a childhood favorite in the neighborhood, we vowed to return, and so we did this weekend after a rousing game of ping pong at Fat Cat.


Even though their menu consisted of cream, pistachio, coffee, chocolate, coconut chocolate, vanilla chocolate, vanilla splash, hazelnut, strawberry lemon, raspberry mint lemon, and their exclusive popyogurt, I ordered the super simple strawberry sorbet (which I'm allergic to, shhh!) and Ali ordered mango. Our friend Kristine was the most adventurous. She chose mango drizzled with Italian gourmet chocolate. 


I rarely indulge in toppings. Even when I bought my Baskin Robbins sundae to score that baseball cap, I stuck to the basics: whip cream, sprinkles, and a cherry. But if I were a top-aholic, I could've had my pick of almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, shredded coconut, granola, coffee grains, biscotti crumbles, brownie chunks, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or white chocolate. AND popbar encourages double-dipping and allows requests for one layer of one topping and another layer of a different topping and yet another layer on top of that. It's a topper's utopia...totally wasted on me. lol

BUT, I am interested in trying the coconut next time. Since I love coconut gelato, I might like a coconut pop. Of course, I'm not too keen on paying $3.75 again, when I can just get a pop at my local bodega for a buck. Then again, I can't pretend those are healthy when I'm pretty sure they're not even 10% real fruit.

popbar, 5 Carmine Street

No comments:

Post a Comment